[mythtv] PATCH: Commercial detection/skip using blank frames

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Mon Feb 24 00:56:53 EST 2003

> > Shouldn't uncompressing hardware-compressed frames and sampling them
> > still be faster than software compression?  It's not as though we have
> > to re-encode them when we're done checking for blanks. :-)
>
> Ya. I had come to the same conclusion but didn't want to
> suggest it in the context of this message. If the system

There are a couple factors that might make that a bad idea for most.
If someone is using hardware compression (with current hardware compression
support), then they are probably using it because they are short on
horsepower anyway.  The current hardware support uses MJPEG anyway which
is cpu intensive to decode as well.

> just to check for blank frames. However, the decode to check
> for blanks could be done just as easily in post-processing
> which is what Chris was looking into anyway. If someone

I'd rather do it realtime if it doesn't take too much cpu.  Post-processing
will introduce other factors, such as if I'm recording 2 shows in a row from
say 8-9 and 9-10, I don't want my cpu to spike to 100% utilization at 9
because the first show is being processed for commercials (which you would
normally want to run as fast as it can).

Chris