[mythtv] Machine hangs on channel-switching with MythTV

John mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:49:15 -0500 (EST)

Erik,  I have been having the same problem.

I posted to this list a couple of weeks ago but did not get much back.
http://www.snowman.net/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2002-November/000959.html Of
course everyone told me that I should not be using CVS, etc but that was
just my most recent try, I tried just about every combination I could with
no luck.  I started with Debian stable and the install went pretty smooth.
 Once I ran into problems I started changing the configuration.  What is
your configuration?  What kernel, bttv, alsa and video are you using?
One thing I never tried is to hook up a serial console to see if the
kernel logs any messages just before the crash.  The only output I ever
got was while running mythtv from a ssh session:   read audio: Interrupted system call
   VIDIOSYNC0: Interrupted system call

xawtv also worked for me and I was able to watch live tv with Myth on the
initial channel (Actually every now and again I could change channels one
time.  But this was very random).  I successfully recorded and then played
back a program.  However while recording a second time I switched to
another window and started working on something else which caused the
hang.  This may mean that the problem is not in the video, sound or
network drivers.   That leaves BTTV and hard drive.
>From what I could find you should make sure that your capture card is on
it own interrupt (no help for me) and try adjusting the PCI latency (never
found documentation on what values to try).  I also read that upgrading
the harddrive drivers could help but I never found more information on
this.
I don't have myth installed anywhere right now, but if you find anything
or would like to work on this let me know and I will reload, but for now I
am just out of patience with.  Maybe I'll try again in a few weeks.
John