[mythtv] Machine hangs on channel-switching with MythTV

Patrick Pflaum mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 14:27:52 -0600

    Here's my journey with mythtv:

    Started with fresh machine, Mandrake 9.0, installed mythtv and all
the prerequisites.

    Whenever I start mythtv it worked just like the reset button on the
front, the machine instantly rebooted.

    Installed Alsa drivers ( for onboard sound )

    mythtv works, but locks solid on channel changes.    Randomly would
let me switch channels one or two times.

    Installed SB-Live soundcard + change alsa drivers -> still locks on
channel changes.

    Installed fresh copy of Mandrake *8.2* with SB-Live soundcard in,
 compiled qt from source, installed all the other prerequisites.

    AND IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!

    My hardware:

    MSI Motherboard,  Athalon 1700, 512MB Ram, 80G HD,  MSI nvidia
geforce4 mx, 1 DVD drive, 1 CDRW drive, 1 PCI SB Live sound card.

    Don't know if that will help you at all, but there it is.

    Pat