[mythtv] Couple Newbie Questions

Matt Zimmerman mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:47:54 -0500

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 12:24:12PM -0800, Jeremy Oddo wrote:

> Grand Newbie back again with a couple simple [multi-part] questions :)
>
> 1.  Under mythfrontend, I don't have anything under the Setup option.
> Perhaps I missed something in the docs explaining this, or perhaps I
> goofed the install.  What, if anything, is under "setup" from the
> mythfrontend?

This is not yet implemented.

> 2.  I've been having no luck with getting 'mythtv' working.  Many people
> believe it to be an audio problem.  So, I need to get alsa.  Does anyone
> have any points, suggestions, etc. for getting alsa up and running?  Also,
> how can I tell if it _or_any_other_audio_app_ has taken control of my
> /dev/dsp?  I've been told I need to kill anything that has control over
> /dev/dsp, but I don't know where to look!

Does audio work in other programs?  If so, then the problem is likely not
with your sound driver, and you should not set about trying to use ALSA.

At least one other person on the list has already explained how to find out
if anything else is using the sound device.  That is most likely the
problem.

--
 - mdz