[mythtv] Couple Newbie Questions

Jeremy Oddo mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:14:22 -0800 (PST)

>> 2.  I've been having no luck with getting 'mythtv' working.  Many
>> people believe it to be an audio problem.  So, I need to get alsa.
>> Does anyone have any points, suggestions, etc. for getting alsa up and
>> running?  Also, how can I tell if it _or_any_other_audio_app_ has
>> taken control of my /dev/dsp?  I've been told I need to kill anything
>> that has control over /dev/dsp, but I don't know where to look!
>
> Does audio work in other programs?  If so, then the problem is likely
> not with your sound driver, and you should not set about trying to use
> ALSA.

Yeah, audio DOES work in other apps.  I'm not too sure what could be
grabbing the audio.  I even tried booting without running KDE or gnome for
the windows manager.  I tried twm as it's way stripped down, but I got the
same problem (video no coming up).

One think that I really wish myth had was some verbose debugging info that
you could set via the command line.  Yeah, I know, it's a lot of coding
overhead (just like commenting the code) but it would be really helpful to
have some verbose debugging info!

> At least one other person on the list has already explained how to find
> out if anything else is using the sound device.

Will that person(s) step forward and offer a few suggestions? ;)

Jer