[mythtv-users] Replacement for Atom Motherboard

jam jam at tigger.ws
Sat Mar 9 09:03:37 UTC 2024

On Friday, March 8, 2024 6:16:32 PM AWST James Abernathy wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 8, 2024 at 3:59 AM David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > For the last 10 years or so my MythTV setup has been a combined back/frontend running on an Intel Atom motherboard with NVidia graphics.  Inputs are a pair of external USB DVBt sticks, storage is a couple of SATA drives and the whole lot sits inside an Antec Fusion multimedia case.  The case is mostly a pig-ugly monstrosity but it has a pretty front panel with a LCD display and it looks good in my TV cabinet where you can't see the rest of it.
> >
> > The point of this post is that I think the Atom motherboard is getting long in the tooth now and increasingly vulnerable to sudden death syndrome; I'm also wary that at some point a software upgrade could fail because some part of the hardware is not longer supported -  so I'm looking for a replacement.
> >
> > Ideally I'd like something exactly the same but newer. that is:
> >
> > Combined Frontend/Backend.
> > Silent (in the huge Antec case the Atom is easy to cool with a big slow turning FAN).
> > Low Power, which I think means hardware video acceleration.
> > Fits inside the Antec case.
> >
> > Is there such a board?
> >
> > I've been looking at:
> > - Raspberry PI.  The connections would be a bit messy and I'm not sure if I'd need a second PI/Firestick etc for the Frontend, but I think I could get it to work.
> > - Some flavour of Intel NUC.  There seems to be a lot of choice and I'm not sure if hardware video acceleration is available, which means that CPU performance and cooling might need managing.  I seem to have a bit of a blind spot with motherboards and am wary of buying one that either won't play video smoothly or uses significantly more power than my existing setup.
> > - Some super low power motherboard and a Pi/Firestick/etc for the frontend.
> >
> > Thanks for any advice.
> >

> You could use a Pi4/5, but not sure you'd be happy with the video
> performance, comm flagging speed, or compression.  If you went this
> way using a FireTV 4K Max as a frontend solves the remote issues and
> you get the best picture if you use Leanfront on the FireTV.  A PI 4
> could easily handle the backend part.

Jim please wax lyrical
I've been trying to use a pi5 as a backend
When it works it works beautifully, smooth and cores (htop) not busy

But I've had a stream of errors:

My SATA ssd (sumsung) in a usb (jmicron) enclosure suddenly loses connection and wont reconnect until reboot
Mariadb looses eg storage group settings
Record a program on a single channel on a single mux
  records 5 min (one show)
  records 10 min to end (another show)
  [recorded] shows nothing related to the show !!

Are my funnies hardware issues?
I'm booting and running on a m2

So far I have not been sucessful - I want multipe partitions
. Flash m2
. GParted in a m2 enclosure on another machine
     everything is greyed (resize etc)

So I need to contemplate about a BE on RaPi5

James