[mythtv-users] Replacement for Atom Motherboard

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Mar 8 11:16:05 UTC 2024

On 08/03/2024 11:07, TimP wrote:

> On 2024-03-08 10:16, James Abernathy wrote:
>> You could use a Pi4/5, but not sure you'd be happy with the video
>> performance, comm flagging speed, or compression.  If you went this
>> way using a FireTV 4K Max as a frontend solves the remote issues and
>> you get the best picture if you use Leanfront on the FireTV.  A PI 4
>> could easily handle the backend part.
>
> I have an nVidia Ion frontend, great playback quality, but recently failed due to the Realtek 98168
> lan port failing. I had a Pi4 (1GB RAM) and tried it out as a frontend with the mythtv-light deb.
> It's fine for most of the stuff I watch (H.264 progressive), but really struggles with MPEG2 even
> with an ethernet cable. I've ordered a Pi5 with 8GB as that seems a simpler way forward than trying
> to diagnose the Realtek issue.
> Sad about saying goodbye to the frontend, but even with Debian stable the software churn and
> headache of both nVidia and Realtek non-free is harder than Raspberries and some ansible scripts.

Wiht regard to the Realtek NIC problem, Debian have partially given in and on 12 (Bookworm) some
non-free drivers are included automatically, including NICs and CPU firmware. Since going from 11 to
12 I have had no need to add the 'non-free' repository to my apt lists.

I could not comment on the nVidia side, though. I did have nVidia front-ends but with motherboard
turnover they are now almost all Intel chipsets. YMMV.

--

Mike Perkins