[mythtv-users] Replacement for Atom Motherboard

TimP mythtv at corky.co
Fri Mar 8 11:07:41 UTC 2024

On 2024-03-08 10:16, James Abernathy wrote:
> You could use a Pi4/5, but not sure you'd be happy with the video
> performance, comm flagging speed, or compression.  If you went this
> way using a FireTV 4K Max as a frontend solves the remote issues and
> you get the best picture if you use Leanfront on the FireTV.  A PI 4
> could easily handle the backend part.

I have an nVidia Ion frontend, great playback quality, but recently
failed due to the Realtek 98168 lan port failing. I had a Pi4 (1GB RAM)
and tried it out as a frontend with the mythtv-light deb.
It's fine for most of the stuff I watch (H.264 progressive), but really
struggles with MPEG2 even with an ethernet cable. I've ordered a Pi5
with 8GB as that seems a simpler way forward than trying to diagnose the
Realtek issue.
Sad about saying goodbye to the frontend, but even with Debian stable
the software churn and headache of both nVidia and Realtek non-free is
harder than Raspberries and some ansible scripts.

Cheers,
Tim.