[mythtv-users] DVB support and HDHomeRun tuners?

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 00:07:50 UTC 2024

Hoi Hika,

Friday, March 8, 2024, 12:42:56 AM, you wrote:

> Hoi Tom,

> Friday, March 8, 2024, 12:00:27 AM, you wrote:

>>> Hoi Tom,
>>>
>>> You mean in-kernel? Not to my knowledge.
>>>
>>> Would you share your ebuild?
>>>
>>> Tot mails,
>>>   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

>> Thanks for the reply! As far as the ebuild, it's pretty cobbled
>> together and also has a lot of patches involved.

>> The reason I posted the question is that that old ebuild had a
>> dependency for virtual/linuxtv-dvb-headers specifically when the dvb
>> USE was set, and that package was apparently removed. I'm not sure
>> what it originally did, but it sure it seems like it was related to
>> kernel headers. I assume that probably means I don;t need the dvb USE
>> at all. At least that's what I'm hoping.

>> Thanks!
>> Tom

> Sounds right to me. Hdhomerun does not use anything in the kernel and
> I think those headers are related to the media part in-kernel. Anyway,
> probably those headers merged into a more generic header set. I have
> seen that before. Less specific headers, just a few generic ones as
> they take up little space. So they are probably on your system anyway.

> As to your ebuild, I would appreciate it anyway, just as an example to
> get ideas on when I want to create one for myself.

> Tot mails,
>   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

Thinking further, a virtual is used when more then one package could
do the job. For instance for mariadb or mysql there is a virtual/mysql
that is fulfilled by either one. This virtual was probably created to
facilitate the move from the single small header package in to the
bigger generic one.
I still have an old tree on one of my machines and this virtual is
ancient and as of at least version 5.3 only points to
sys-kernel/linux-headers and you have that one always on your system.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop