[mythtv-users] DVB support and HDHomeRun tuners?

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 23:42:56 UTC 2024

Hoi Tom,

Friday, March 8, 2024, 12:00:27 AM, you wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 4:34 PM Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thursday, March 7, 2024, 10:15:57 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> > I'm still running MythTV 29.1 under Gentoo using an ebuild of my own.
>>
>> > Is DVB support required when using HDHomeRun tuners? Currently I have
>> > that enabled, but I suspect that goes back to when I was using
>> > physical CX88 PCI tuner cards many years ago.
>>
>> > Is that support required required when using only HDHomeRun cards?
>>
>> > Thanks!
>>
>> Hoi Tom,
>>
>> You mean in-kernel? Not to my knowledge.
>>
>> Would you share your ebuild?
>>
>> Tot mails,
>>   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

> Thanks for the reply! As far as the ebuild, it's pretty cobbled
> together and also has a lot of patches involved.

> The reason I posted the question is that that old ebuild had a
> dependency for virtual/linuxtv-dvb-headers specifically when the dvb
> USE was set, and that package was apparently removed. I'm not sure
> what it originally did, but it sure it seems like it was related to
> kernel headers. I assume that probably means I don;t need the dvb USE
> at all. At least that's what I'm hoping.

> Thanks!
> Tom

Sounds right to me. Hdhomerun does not use anything in the kernel and
I think those headers are related to the media part in-kernel. Anyway,
probably those headers merged into a more generic header set. I have
seen that before. Less specific headers, just a few generic ones as
they take up little space. So they are probably on your system anyway.

As to your ebuild, I would appreciate it anyway, just as an example to
get ideas on when I want to create one for myself.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop