[mythtv-users] OT: Recommended Wi-Fi NIC for Linux

faginbagin helen.buus at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 19:00:37 UTC 2024

On 1/29/2024 11:14 AM, Will Dormann wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Since my reconfiguration of where my MythTV backend lives, it now
> requires connectivity via Wi-Fi as opposed to a wired LAN.  The
> results have been... disappointing.
>
> Every couple of days I'll notice playback of a recording needing to
> consistently rebuffer.  Logging into the MythTV box, I'll see NFS
> errors (my recordings live on an NFS location), and I'll also see
> messages like:
> iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Microcode SW error detected. Restarting 0x0.
> Rebooting the MythTV box "fixes" the problem, but obviously that's not
> a reasonable solution.
>
> My current Wi-Fi NIC is an Intel AX210. Given the reliability of Intel
> gigabit NICs, I figured this would be a safe bet.
>
> I get that people *might* be able to put up with a tablet or a laptop
> client where Wi-FI occasionally flakes out, and might even need a
> reboot of the device.  But for a system that is essentially set up
> like a server this seems... completely unacceptable?
>
> This experience makes me wonder: is there an accepted, tried-and-true
> Wi-Fi solution for Linux?  Ideally one that supports Wi-Fi 6E, since I
> have that available.
>

> Thanks
> -WD

Have you considered using an older router to create a wireless bridge.
I've used dd-wrt firmware and ASUS WRT Merlin firmware so that I can
connect a computer via ethernet to the wireless router which the
communicates via WiFi to the main router.

Another option might be MoCA, if you've got coax cable in both the main
router's location and the remote computer's location. With MoCA, you'll
get a physical connection capable of up to 2.5 Gbps.