[mythtv-users] OT: Recommended Wi-Fi NIC for Linux

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 20:48:31 UTC 2024

On 1/30/24 2:00 PM, faginbagin wrote:
> Have you considered using an older router to create a wireless bridge.
> I've used dd-wrt firmware and ASUS WRT Merlin firmware so that I can
> connect a computer via ethernet to the wireless router which the
> communicates via WiFi to the main router.

Yeah, I've considered this.  But then part of my brain jumped in to say
"well, actually... a router is basically a Linux device with working
NICs, so why not just put a wireless NIC in the Linux box you already
have?"   :-/

I suppose the advantage of an OpenWRT-compatible router is that it sort
of guarantees a Linux-compatible hardware list.

So far my iwlwifi options for disabling sleep and bluetooth seem to have
resulted in a stable connection.  But it's still too early to tell.  If
that fails, I've already got an AWUS036AXML on order, and I hear that
the MediaTek chipset it uses is very Linux friendly.

-WD