[mythtv-users] season and episode population from schedules direct json has been incomplete.

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 20:02:34 UTC 2024

On Sun, Jan 14, 2024 at 7:22 PM Jay Harbeston <jharbestonus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sounds Kinda like the non-sqlite version might be fading from use anyway

That is hard to quantify (and I am not sure one
should use responses from people on a extended
holiday weekend (for US users) as statistically
significant).

The XMLTV project (like most projects without
telemetry) has no idea IRT usage(*) in this,
or other projects, that use the XMLTV feeds.

There is a part of me that celebrates that there
are competing implementations of the upstream
Schedules Direct (Gracenote) data that individuals
can compare and contrast to determine the
best fit for their use cases (both implementations
are slightly different in certain types of uses even
as they start from the same raw upstream EPG
source).  I also recognize that that can cause
confusion some of the time for some of the
people.

I expect that there are many satisfied users of
both implementations who may never come
forward (if it works, don't "fix" it), even if I am
admittedly biased towards the sqlite variant as
it is what I use.

My bottom line has always been (and what I
recommend to others, not just for XMLTV
feeds, but all software) is use what works for
you, and if it stops working, look elsewhere
(or better yet, contribute patches).

(*) The lack of instrumentation is a real issue
for (especially) open source projects trying to
decide where to prioritize and invest resources.