[mythtv-users] End of the road for MythTV at my house?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 00:15:16 UTC 2024

On Sun, Feb 18, 2024 at 11:08 PM Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/18/24 4:44 PM, DryHeat122 wrote:
> > I have Cox as a service provider. The cable box I have been
> > successfully using with an HDPVR stopped working. When I took it in they
> > exchanged it for a box with model Pace PX022ANC. It does not have RGB
> > output, just HDMI. Is there a pc card that will capture HDMI?
>

> I too lost the ability to use my HD-PVR when an updated cable box
> dropped the component video output option and Firewire control.

In most cases you can explicitly request
a box that has component output.  If they
ask why, say you have a projector in your
home theater setup that only has ports
for component.  It is, however, more likely
that not that no local store has such a
box in stock, and will need to order it for
you.

Firewire is essentially unavailable, but
IR blasters do still work.

> You may want to check out the ability to use a Cox-provided cable card
> inserted into a HD-Homerun device that you own.  I continue to use an
> HDHomeRun PRIME device  for my recordings, and it works well.  With two
> caveats, I suppose:
> 1) Cox may charge you a small monthly fee for cable card rental.
> 2) Depending on how Cox has their channels configured, not all of your
> channels may be available via such a device.  I believe that it's up to
> your provider to decide which channels to protect with DRM.  Such
> protected channels will not be recordable, because only pirates do such
> things.

Cox, in many parts of their footprint, mark
most channels (other than locals) with
copy-once settings (there are market
exceptions).   As MythTV does not
provide a protected content path, you