[mythtv-users] Simulcast Recordings

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Feb 7 10:03:55 UTC 2024

On Wed, 7 Feb 2024 09:38:54 +0000, you wrote:

>On 07/02/2024 00:28, Stephen Worthington wrote:

>>> ...so what happens when you import two recordings for the same program? Or a recording for a program
>>> that already exists? Will it take account of the fact they were on different channels?
>>
>> Of course.  Just the same way that MythTV allows you to record the
>> exact same programme from two simulcast channels.  The recordings will
>> get different recordedid values.
>>
>But that was the original point, wasn't it? Myth /wouldn't/ allow the OP to record the same program
>from two different channels (for different reasons).
>
>But I accept that the recordedid would be different because the channels (callsigns?) were
>different, and if the channel ids were different there would be no collision in the file names.

MythTV does allow Barry to record the same programme from two
different channels - but only by adding an override rule on both
channels.  The problem is having to manually add those overrides. What
is wanted is a way to get both copies of the same programme recorded
by just setting a normal recording rule somehow and leaving
mythbackend to do it automatically after that forever, rather than
having to visit all the scheduled recordings on the channel and add
overrides for each programme each day on both of the simulcast
channels.

I have the same situation here with my Sky Open channel, but since
both of those channels now record fine, I do not need to record both.
A few years ago, I did need to record from both, as the DVB-T version
was only SD, so I wanted the DVB-S2 HD version, but recording from
DVB-S2 at the time was unreliable.  So I recorded both.  But I had to
apply override rules to both copies to do that.  Fortunately for me, I
was able to fix the problem that made the DVB-S2 recording unreliable,
and then recorded from that only.  Then a year or so later when the
DVB-T channel was upgraded to HD in slightly better quality than the
DVB-S2 version, I just changed my priorities to make the DVB-T version
record after that.