[mythtv-users] HDHomerun tuner flaky recordings

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 20:31:41 UTC 2024

> I don’t know if you have similar where you are.  One other thing to check
> is the hdhrconfig command line utility. It lets you capture the signal, and
> shows you the status of the received data. This will make sure that you
> don’t have problems with network traffic problems.  As far as antenna
> recomendations, your fellow TV enthusiasts in your area may be able to
> assist more.

Yes, I've been using this and it's helped me work out that the signal
quality is low.

> Oh.. another thing that may affect signal.. is trees between you and the
> broadcast source.

Unfortunately that's not it as I actually have line of sight straight to
the local transmission tower.

When I look at the HDHomerun tuner status in a browser I noticed that the
> signal strength stays at 100%, but the signal quality jumps around all over
> the place from 34% to 100% to 77% to 19%.... I'm wondering if this could be
> my problem, and if so why would the signal strength be so continuously
> variable?
>

> Yep, that’s the problem.  Sounds like are receiving a dirty signal .   In
> the US / Canada, we have a website rabbitears.info that helps with giving
> an idea of what kind of signal  we can get for a given station.
>
> Sounds like you need a better antenna if possible..

Thanks. I was wondering if this might be the problem. I think the existing
antenna has probably been in place since the house was built 23 years ago
and was geared to analogue TV. So maybe I need to invest in a new antenna.