[mythtv-users] HDHomerun tuner flaky recordings

Jay Harbeston jharbestonus at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 20:02:21 UTC 2024

> On Feb 2, 2024, at 2:54 PM, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a couple of HDHomerun DVB-T network tuners. Since moving house over a year ago I've had problems with poor recording quality.

> I suspected it might be a failing power pack on the 4-tuner Quattro but replacing it didn't help.
>
> So I then swapped the Quattro out for a 2-tuner HDHR4-2DT thinking that maybe there were too many tuners for the aerial and that was causing the problem. But that hasn't made any difference either.
>
> On both tuners the characteristic of the recordings is that they pixellate from time to time and seem to skip frames so that little chunks of video and audio are missing which means you can't follow dialogue because parts of it just aren't there. They appear the same whether I play them in MythTV, or download to VLC or in the HDHomerun Windows app.

I don’t know if you have similar where you are.  One other thing to check is the hdhrconfig command line utility. It lets you capture the signal, and shows you the status of the received data. This will make sure that you don’t have problems with network traffic problems.  As far as antenna recomendations, your fellow TV enthusiasts in your area may be able to assist more.

Oh.. another thing that may affect signal.. is trees between you and the broadcast source.

> When I look at the HDHomerun tuner status in a browser I noticed that the signal strength stays at 100%, but the signal quality jumps around all over the place from 34% to 100% to 77% to 19%.... I'm wondering if this could be my problem, and if so why would the signal strength be so continuously variable?
> _

Yep, that’s the problem.  Sounds like are receiving a dirty signal .   In the US / Canada, we have a website rabbitears.info <http://rabbitears.info/> that helps with giving an idea of what kind of signal  we can get for a given station.

Sounds like you need a better antenna if possible..

Regards