[mythtv-users] Android Mythrontend on Firestck 4K

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 16:16:33 UTC 2023

(responding to list this time)

I just today installed Leanfront on a Fire Stick 4k, and it worked fine,
requiring no more than entering the host name of the backend.

And like you, the full mythfrontend app is failing to connect.  The fact
that Leanfront works, and that I can also remotely use the normal mysql
client remotely makes me wonder what the problem might be.

I too am running mysql as the database server, but from what I can tell
the MariaDB client protocol is binary compatible with that of MySQL, so
that could be a red herring...

Anyway, I've heard that Leanfront may be better than the full MythTV
client as it uses hardware video acceleration (and the full does not?
Still?).  But I'd like to test out both, as I've found that the
Leanfront interface leaves a touch to be desired.  At least for someone
used to the full client.

If you figure anything out, please report back here, and I'll do the same.

Addendum: Looking at adb logcat info, I see:
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection  Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE , attempt 0, status dbAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection  Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE , attempt 1, status dbAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection  Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE 127.0.0.1, attempt 2, status beAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection  Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE 127.0.0.1, attempt 3, status beAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection  Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE 127.0.0.1, attempt 4, status beAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection  Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE 127.0.0.1, attempt 5, status beAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection  Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE 127.0.0.1, attempt 6, status beAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection  Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE 127.0.0.1, attempt 7, status beAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection  Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE 127.0.0.1, attempt 8, status beAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection  Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE 127.0.0.1, attempt 9, status beAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:887:TestDBconnection  Start up testing connections. DB
<hostname>, BE 127.0.0.1, attempt 10, status beAwake, Delay: 2000
mythcontext.cpp:1010:TestDBconnection  Start up failure. host
<hostname>, status beAwakeFail

The fact that the BE (backend, I presume) starts out blank, and then
falls back to 127.0.0.1 is a touch suspicious. Though perhaps it
defaults to using the same host as the DB?

I noticed a message from Peter saying that "The prompt for database
credentials causes the program to crash." in the last-built Android
version, but I'll note that I see no visible crash.  Unless "the
program" is referring to a separate helper app that isn't visible?

Thanks
-WD