[mythtv-users] Android Mythrontend on Firestck 4K

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 13:21:51 UTC 2023

On 9/24/23 14:10, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> I'm trying to run the Android Mythfrontend on a Firestick 4K without
> any luck. Has anyone succeeded at this? It fails the initial
> authentication against the Mysql database on the backend.
>
> This is against Peter's latest build of the 32 bit version. Peter had
> some suggestions, but nothing has worked.
>
> Some notes:
>
> Mysql sees sees the query and the mysql log shows
>
> 2023-09-23T20:02:39.007635Z     7975 Connect mythtv at fire4k.kmhome on
> mythconverg using TCP/IP
> 2023-09-23T20:02:39.007719Z     7975 Connect    Access denied for user
> 'mythtv'@'fire4k.kmhome' (using password: NO)
>

> I have several Linux machines with mythfrontend running against the
> same mysql database successfully and the mysql log shows
>
> 2023-09-23T20:04:17.913574Z      7979 Connect mythtv at kmnuc-w.kmhome on
> mythconverg using SSL/TLS
> 2023-09-23T20:04:17.915495Z      7979 Init DB   mythconverg
>
> The problem is not based on a permission error on the mysql server.
> The other clients had no problem, but at Peter's suggested I opened it
> even wider for a test adding a "mythtv'@'%" user with a wide open
> grant of permissions. It's not permissions.
>
> I also snooped the wire to see what the firestick was sending in its
> authentication dialog. I won't post all the voluminous details, but in
> decoding the mysql transaction I noticed
>
>        Username: mythtv
>         Schema: mythconverg
>         Client Auth Plugin: dummy_fallback_auth
>         Connection Attributes
>             Connection Attributes length: 113
>             Connection Attribute - _os: Android
>             Connection Attribute - _client_name: libmariadb
>                 Connection Attribute Value: libmariadb
>
> The reference to mariadb caught my eye since the backend uses mysql,
> as well as the Auth Plugin.
>
> Any help?

I just ran a test with
mythfrontend-20230620-arm-v34-Pre-285-gad0f875696.apk (32bit), fire
stick 4k, master backend.  I do connect successfully to the database,
which is mysql. The frontend window shows on the tv and I can play
recordings.

You can check your config.xml settings as follows:

adb connect <fire-tv-ip-address>
adb shell
run-as org.mythtv.mythfrontend
cd files
cat config.xml

Perhaps the user id or the password is wrong there?

Peter