[mythtv-users] XMLTV on Opensuse Tumbleweed

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun May 7 10:22:13 UTC 2023

On Sat, May 6, 2023 at 10:27 PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, May 6, 2023 at 10:04 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I just installed mythtv on opensuse tumbleweed and had to build from
> source.  Got it all working except I can't get XMLTV working. I found an
> old version on Packman repo, but it does not contain
> tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite.  Building XMLTV from the github repo didn't work.
> I'm assuming I'm missing a lot of the Perl stuff.
>
> Typically, if you build from the XMLTV github repo (starting
> with running `perl Makefile.PL`) it should tell you what perl
> libraries you are missing.
>
> And, ultimately, to help yourself and others, you may
> wish to pick up the XMLTV package in the user
> contributed packman repos (as I recall, the current
> XMLTV version is 1.2.1, while the latest packman
> version is 0.<something>, so rather much older).
> Typically such work is not especially onerous once
> you have the spec file working as the XMLTV project
> does not often add new dependencies.  You may
> even be able to start with the spec files from other
> RPM based distros, such as the one on RPMFusion.

I think my problems start with not knowing anything about Perl and
installing missing libraries.  This is complicated by not knowing Opensuse
Tumbleweed's repo priorities of one Packman vs. another.

Sounds like for bleeding edge stuff I should stick to Arch which has its
own AUR for xmltv and mythtv.git. The archlinux wiki fills in the blanks.
I was just experimenting with Opensuse Tumbleweed to see if I liked its
handling of btrfs better than other distros. I think it's time for this old
dog to head back to safer waters.

Thanks,

Jim A