[mythtv-users] Updated MythTV - now my schedules no longer update. XMLTV woes

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Sun May 7 05:25:18 UTC 2023

Well, I suppose I celebrated too early in updating MythTV.  After my
SchedulesDirect data expired, I now realize that I have no program guide
since I did the update.

Apparently "DataDirect" is no longer a things that's supported, and I
now need to use XMLTV.  The problem is, I can't seem to find any
guidance that I can understand.

According to https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV , I should be able to
just run mythtv-setup and tell MythTV to use XMLTV, and everything
should be fine.   When exiting mythtv-setup, and I'm prompted to run
mythfilldatabase, I see a brief terminal window that shows the usage for
how to run mythfilldatabase.  After a bit of hassle, I finally realized
that I had a "--remove-new-channels" option set in my
MythFillDatabaseArgs in the settings table.  After removing this, the
error went away.

However, there's still nothing in my schedules.  There is no
configuration file in $HOME/.xmltv.

So I figure I'd try the command line setup as outlined at
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV

I ran:
/usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson --configure --config-file
$HOME/.mythtv/FiOS.xmltv

only to be asked to select what sort of cable lineup I have in my
zipcode.   Which is somewhat surprising to me, given that I've already
configured exactly how my channel lineup is in SchedulesDirect directly.

Elsewhere in this list I saw the advice to run --manage-lineups instead
of --configure.  I tried this, and it seems that I could add a generic
FiOS lineup, but not the one that I had already configured in
SchedulesDirect that matches what I actually subscribe to.

When I try to edit the channel lineup, I get:
> Select one: [0,1,2,3,4,5 (default=0)] 5
>
> Database has not been initialized (or cannot be opened)

Nothing I've tried has resulted in any .xmltv file being written.  I do
have a SchedulesDirect.DB in my ~/.xmltv directory.

All of this has been quite frustrating.  Does anybody have any guidance
on how a normal human being can update from an old (DataDirect
SchedulesDirect) configuration to a new one that uses XMLTV?

Thanks
-WD