[mythtv-users] HDHomerun recordings look really bad

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Dec 18 08:46:57 UTC 2023

On Sun, 17 Dec 2023 17:37:17 -0800, you wrote:

>Hi all, so I've been a mythtv-users since forever. The defaults were
>working for me for the longest time. However, recently, I've noticed the
>recording of broadcast HD channels like the NFL games are horrible. The
>colors look really bad and the compression is bad. I am wondering if
>someone can help me find the settings to tweak to get the recording quality
>better. I don't even know where/what to start checking since everything is
>just the default and I've never touched it. I think they are just MPEG2
>recordings and not transcoded (i think?).
>
>More info:
>
>   1. A plex server using the HDhomerun turner, and also playback on a plex
>   client, they look really good compared to mythtv.
>   2. Playback using the recorded files from the mythtv-backend using kodi
>   client looks just as bad as the mythtv-frontend, so I am suspecting the
>   actual recordings are bad.
>   3. This isn't a reception issue, as there are no artifacts on the
>   recordings caused by tuning issues.
>   4. This looks like a "compression" issue or the capture is lower
>   resolution including the colors are lower bit-depth. for colors you can see
>   the actual gradient like if it was only 256 colors (this is an
>   exaggeration). For fast moving scenes, they look blocky.
>   5. Playback looks bad on most clients, even wired-network clients.
>
>Not sure what to check first, so any help will be appreciated, thanks all.
>I was hoping the answer would be to check the HDHomerun capture quality
>setting somewhere :)

This is with an HDHomeRun ATSC 1.0 tuner, correct?  If so, then there
is no compression done in the recording process.  It is a digital
tuner, so what is transmitted is what gets recorded.  It is possible
that you have programmed it to do a post-record transcoding to a lower
quality format, but there would have been no reason for you to do
that.

To find out the format of the recording file, in the mythfrontend
recordings list, use the I key twice and it should show the name and
location of the recording file.  Find that name on disk and use a
program like mediainfo (or ffprobe or mythffprobe) to tell you what
format is in it.