[mythtv-users] HDHomerun recordings look really bad

Monkey Pet monkeypet at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 01:37:17 UTC 2023

Hi all, so I've been a mythtv-users since forever. The defaults were
working for me for the longest time. However, recently, I've noticed the
recording of broadcast HD channels like the NFL games are horrible. The
colors look really bad and the compression is bad. I am wondering if
someone can help me find the settings to tweak to get the recording quality
better. I don't even know where/what to start checking since everything is
just the default and I've never touched it. I think they are just MPEG2
recordings and not transcoded (i think?).

More info:

   1. A plex server using the HDhomerun turner, and also playback on a plex
   client, they look really good compared to mythtv.
   2. Playback using the recorded files from the mythtv-backend using kodi
   client looks just as bad as the mythtv-frontend, so I am suspecting the
   actual recordings are bad.
   3. This isn't a reception issue, as there are no artifacts on the
   recordings caused by tuning issues.
   4. This looks like a "compression" issue or the capture is lower
   resolution including the colors are lower bit-depth. for colors you can see
   the actual gradient like if it was only 256 colors (this is an
   exaggeration). For fast moving scenes, they look blocky.
   5. Playback looks bad on most clients, even wired-network clients.

Not sure what to check first, so any help will be appreciated, thanks all.
I was hoping the answer would be to check the HDHomerun capture quality
setting somewhere :)