[mythtv-users] Fix for forced subtitle problems

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sat Dec 16 16:59:17 UTC 2023

On 16/12/2023 15:46, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 16/12/2023 14:18, David Hampton via mythtv-users wrote:

>>> I don't think you need to worry about this going in against your
>>> wishes.
>>> I'm not a dev and can't just force this in. I wouldn't want to, in
>>> any
>>> case, without consensus. You are the only person who's taken any
>>> interest in this and you don't like it. I don't think it's going in.
>>>
>>> I wish you'd had the chance to actually try it before making up your
>>> mind - not with test videos - but in the wild, rather than imagining
>>> the
>>> scenarios, but that's my fault for not managing to get it to work on
>>> master. I've looked further and I can't see what the problem is. I'm
>>> parking it for now. I might return to it when 34 comes out and
>>> master,
>>> for a while, will be close to what I'm running.
>>>
>>> I didn't reply to many of your comments because I was hoping to wait
>>> for
>>> you to have tried it. Also I have no interest in trying to fix all
>>> the
>>> other misbehaviours. Plus, I find it very difficult to read very long
>>> detailed natural language pros, especially with all the references to
>>> forced and non-forced. I'm much happier dealing with one point at a
>>> time.
>>>
>>> I've just reread your previous posts. I believe I understand the
>>> points
>>> you are making. I'll have one last go to contrast what I think is
>>> your
>>> point of view with mine.
>>>
>>> I think I've found a better way to explain this with new terminology.
>>> I'll introduce a 3rd state: in addition to having On and Off, let's
>>> include Almost Off. I'll use Almost Off to refer to having a forced
>>> subtitle active. I think Almost Off is a good descriptive term
>>> because
>>> when a forced subtitle is active, mostly you see no subtitles. You
>>> could
>>> be fooled that subtitles are actually off, until just at a few
>>> specific
>>> points in the video, someone speaks Dothraki or Na'vi. I'm reserving
>>> the
>>> term On for showing a full subtitle. So in those terms:
>>>
>>> (I'm going to assume that the global setting "subtitles enabled" is
>>> false to keep things simple - for me - I like things simple).
>>>

>>> Option 1 - leave it as it is
>>>
>>>     If a video has no forced subtitle track then the player
>>> starts in the
>>> Off state. TOGGLECC toggles between Off and On.
>>>
>>>     If a video does have a forced subtitle track then the player
>>> starts in
>>> the Almost Off state. TOGGLECC changes internal state, but has no
>>> effect
>>> on whether or which subtitle is shown. To get to the On state, you
>>> have
>>> to use the menu to explicitly choose a non-forced subtitle. And once
> [...]

Thanks for weighing in on this. Good to get some more thoughts. I think
at last I've found a reasonable way to describe the feature, after some
rather confusing first attempts.

Also, it may now work on master. I eventually found a mistake in my
conflict resolution. It's still untested on master, but the mistake I
found certainly explained the failure, so I'm hopeful.