[mythtv-users] bug in mythbackend setup

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Fri Dec 15 21:38:21 UTC 2023

> On Dec 16, 2023, at 01:10, Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 12/14/23 08:13, James Linder wrote:

>>> I'm sure Peter will explain in greater details but basically making the Save button active and working all the time would require a complete re-write of mythbackend because it was never written in such a way that things like tuners, inputs, sources etc are able to be changed on the fly. So instead the backend has to be put into a special mode that effectively shuts everything down except the webserver. Only then can you save many settings which is why you have to enable changes before you can press Save to save them. It doesn't mean the UI side of things can't be improved to make things more obvious if necessary though. It's no different than using mythtv-setup where you are warned to shutdown the backend before making any changes at least in Ubuntu you are not sure about how other distros handle things.
>> Paul, my wife is a very valuable tester for software I write. She does things no sane person would ever contemplate doing.
>> I’m sure Peter will treat me likewise. Of course your (and Jim’s) explanation makes perfect sense. Sorry for crying wolf!
>> James

> This is not the first time "Enable Updates" and a disabled Save button has confused people and sent them back to mythtv-setup. I will add a note to every page right above the Save button. If updates are not enabled it will show:
>
> "To allow Save, enable updates using the button at the top of this page."
>
> If updates are  enabled it will show:
>
> "When you are finished with updates, restart the backend using the button at the top of this page."
>
> Hopefully this will avoid the problem.

Peter thanks
I can’t think of a way around Some Updates don’t need backend stopped. mythtv-setup gives you the option so if eg I was busy recording I could update number of virtual channels without breaking the recording

Also eg in QT you CAN’T push a greyed button but here it stoped the ‘unsaved’ messages.
If you were able to harness that then the desperate push could unleash a dialog explaining rather than cluttering your display with a message that users need to see once then they always understand.

In QT I would RENDER the button greyed. Pushing it would unleash the dialog, and render the button normal.
Pushing again would save and all hell may break loose, but you were warned. (Without the dialog, but with warning is what mythtv-setup does)
(Actually I would render in say yellow, usually you never push a greyed button)

I’n neither asking for, or sugesting that you do, mearly floating ideas for you.

I’m using webfrontend everyday now and it is ’nice’ and ‘easy’. Thankyou. I cannot contemplate not being able to use a mouse. But as a greybeard aspects of the UI that are obvious elude me. My Problem not yours.
EG I asked my grandson how you set the program guide time he said by "clicking this". I had tried drop-downs and editing the text field (which is cumbersom) but not “clicking this” which you explained to me. <sigh>
James