[mythtv-users] bug in mythbackend setup

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 17:10:41 UTC 2023

On 12/14/23 08:13, James Linder wrote:

>>> Jim thanks. I’ll leave the UI design alone but clearly I think …
>>> specially since [next] says “you're gonna be sorry …” and pressing the greyed [save] stops the ‘unsaved’ message.
>>>
>>> James
>>
>> I'm sure Peter will explain in greater details but basically making the Save button active and working all the time would require a complete re-write of mythbackend because it was never written in such a way that things like tuners, inputs, sources etc are able to be changed on the fly. So instead the backend has to be put into a special mode that effectively shuts everything down except the webserver. Only then can you save many settings which is why you have to enable changes before you can press Save to save them. It doesn't mean the UI side of things can't be improved to make things more obvious if necessary though. It's no different than using mythtv-setup where you are warned to shutdown the backend before making any changes at least in Ubuntu you are not sure about how other distros handle things.
> Paul, my wife is a very valuable tester for software I write. She does things no sane person would ever contemplate doing.
> I’m sure Peter will treat me likewise. Of course your (and Jim’s) explanation makes perfect sense. Sorry for crying wolf!
> James

This is not the first time "Enable Updates" and a disabled Save button
has confused people and sent them back to mythtv-setup. I will add a
note to every page right above the Save button. If updates are not
enabled it will show:

"To allow Save, enable updates using the button at the top of this page."

If updates are  enabled it will show:

"When you are finished with updates, restart the backend using the
button at the top of this page."

Hopefully this will avoid the problem.

Peter