[mythtv-users] Recommended replacement to mythbuntu-desktop for Ubuntu 22.04

Tom Bishop bishoptf at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 03:56:56 UTC 2022

On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 10:41 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 11:27:13 +1200, you wrote:
>
> >Been really happy with the small footprint the mythbuntu-desktop has
> >always provided, but for a 22.04 upgrade I need to change to something
> >else for my frontends
> >
> >xubuntu-desktop and lubuntu-desktop both pull in a lot of redundant
> >packages I don't require. Any other recommended options?
> >
> >Steve
>
> I just did "apt remove mythbuntu-desktop" on my mother's MythTV box.
> No other packages were removed (or added), and doing that should make
> it possible to do the upgrade to 22.04.  But I have not tried that
> yet.
>
> On new installs, you would probably have to install xubuntu-desktop
> and then remove the packages you did not want.  Or get a list of all
> the packages that xubuntu-desktop installs and manually install only
> the ones you want.
>
> With the -desktop packages, it seems the dependencies are one way -
> installing the -desktop package will install all the packages it
> wants, but removing any of those packages afterwards will not cause
> the -desktop package to be removed, and the packages you removed will
> not be reinstalled.

Mate is the desktop that I have been using for most of my installs even for
my daily driver, not as light as xubuntu-desktop but its pretty snappy and
does what I need/want...also use it for my daily driver for most all my
installs. Still probably pulls more than you would like but its pretty
light.