[mythtv-users] Recommended replacement to mythbuntu-desktop for Ubuntu 22.04

OpenMedia Support support at openmedia.co.nz
Wed Sep 21 11:21:57 UTC 2022

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 10:41 PM Stephen Worthington <
> stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 11:27:13 +1200, you wrote:
>>
>> >Been really happy with the small footprint the mythbuntu-desktop has
>> >always provided, but for a 22.04 upgrade I need to change to something
>> >else for my frontends
>> >
>> >xubuntu-desktop and lubuntu-desktop both pull in a lot of redundant
>> >packages I don't require. Any other recommended options?
>> >
>> >Steve
>>
>> I just did "apt remove mythbuntu-desktop" on my mother's MythTV box.
>> No other packages were removed (or added), and doing that should make
>> it possible to do the upgrade to 22.04.  But I have not tried that
>> yet.
>>
>> On new installs, you would probably have to install xubuntu-desktop
>> and then remove the packages you did not want.  Or get a list of all
>> the packages that xubuntu-desktop installs and manually install only
>> the ones you want.
>>
>> With the -desktop packages, it seems the dependencies are one way -
>> installing the -desktop package will install all the packages it
>> wants, but removing any of those packages afterwards will not cause
>> the -desktop package to be removed, and the packages you removed will
>> not be reinstalled.
>

> Mate is the desktop that I have been using for most of my installs even
> for
> my daily driver, not as light as xubuntu-desktop but its pretty snappy and
> does what I need/want...also use it for my daily driver for most all my
> installs. Still probably pulls more than you would like but its pretty
> light.

currently all the alternative *-desktop options are too large for a
dedicated media frontent..

Current frontend has 1644 packages already which is a bit heavy. EG Cups,
lots of unused fonts,

xubuntu-desktop would add 425 packages which includes games, more fonts,
more cups components, plus libreoffice.

Even swapping to ubuntu-server adds a lot of stuff I simply don't need.
Any other options?