[mythtv-users] Recommended replacement to mythbuntu-desktop for Ubuntu 22.04

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Sep 21 03:39:07 UTC 2022

On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 11:27:13 +1200, you wrote:

>Been really happy with the small footprint the mythbuntu-desktop has
>always provided, but for a 22.04 upgrade I need to change to something
>else for my frontends
>
>xubuntu-desktop and lubuntu-desktop both pull in a lot of redundant
>packages I don't require. Any other recommended options?
>
>Steve

I just did "apt remove mythbuntu-desktop" on my mother's MythTV box.
No other packages were removed (or added), and doing that should make
it possible to do the upgrade to 22.04.  But I have not tried that
yet.

On new installs, you would probably have to install xubuntu-desktop
and then remove the packages you did not want.  Or get a list of all
the packages that xubuntu-desktop installs and manually install only
the ones you want.

With the -desktop packages, it seems the dependencies are one way -
installing the -desktop package will install all the packages it
wants, but removing any of those packages afterwards will not cause
the -desktop package to be removed, and the packages you removed will
not be reinstalled.