[mythtv-users] Storage directory

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Sep 4 04:36:06 UTC 2022

On Sat, 3 Sep 2022 16:44:06 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi All.
>
>I am trying to setup a new backend.
>
>mythbuntu ver 31 on 22.04.
>I have everything going except one issue that I so not understand.
>
>I have a nas hooked up to this backend that I want to use for storage.
>The nas works as expected.  I can read and write to the folder I specified
>for storage using user mythtv.  I  even changed its permission to 777 for
>testing.
>I enter mythtv-setup as user mythtv.  I set the default storage location to
>the nas folder i made.
>I receive no errors when I exit mythtv-setup.
>However, mythtv fails to start a recording or live tv using that
>configuration.  I see no relevant error messages in mythbackend.log  No
>permission errors that I see
>
>If I create a symlink in /home/mythtv to the nas folder I created, and use
>that symlink as storage under mythtv-setup, mythtv works fine.
>Mythtv also works fine using any other location on the local drive as long
>as ithat folder has the correct permissions.
>
>Anyone have any idea why this would be happening?
>Does anyone see an issue if I use the symlink instead of the actual folder
>on the nas?

What sort of network connection are you using to the NAS?  The network
connections can have separate permissions settings from the settings
you see on the directories where they are mounted.

Where are you mounting the NAS?  The permissions on the path to the
mount point also need to be checked, not just the mount point.  You
could try setting the mount point to under /home/mythtv.

One basic check to do is to see if mythbackend is actually running as
the user you think it is:

sudo ps -ef | grep mythbackend

You should also check the logs for the network connection method you
are using for messages, and /var/log/syslog.