[mythtv-users] Storage directory

Kevin Johnson iitywygms at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 20:44:38 UTC 2022

On Sun, Sep 4, 2022 at 12:37 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Sep 2022 16:44:06 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >Hi All.
> >
> >I am trying to setup a new backend.
> >
> >mythbuntu ver 31 on 22.04.
> >I have everything going except one issue that I so not understand.
> >
> >I have a nas hooked up to this backend that I want to use for storage.
> >The nas works as expected.  I can read and write to the folder I specified
> >for storage using user mythtv.  I  even changed its permission to 777 for
> >testing.
> >I enter mythtv-setup as user mythtv.  I set the default storage location
> >the nas folder i made.
> >I receive no errors when I exit mythtv-setup.
> >However, mythtv fails to start a recording or live tv using that
> >configuration.  I see no relevant error messages in mythbackend.log  No
> >permission errors that I see
> >
> >If I create a symlink in /home/mythtv to the nas folder I created, and use
> >that symlink as storage under mythtv-setup, mythtv works fine.
> >Mythtv also works fine using any other location on the local drive as long
> >as ithat folder has the correct permissions.
> >
> >Anyone have any idea why this would be happening?
> >Does anyone see an issue if I use the symlink instead of the actual folder
> >on the nas?
>
> What sort of network connection are you using to the NAS?  The network
> connections can have separate permissions settings from the settings
> you see on the directories where they are mounted.
>
> Where are you mounting the NAS?  The permissions on the path to the
> mount point also need to be checked, not just the mount point.  You
> could try setting the mount point to under /home/mythtv.
>
> One basic check to do is to see if mythbackend is actually running as
> the user you think it is:
>
> sudo ps -ef | grep mythbackend
>
> You should also check the logs for the network connection method you
> are using for messages, and /var/log/syslog.
>
> It is a qnap nas ts-328 connected directly to my router with a static ip
address
I created a directory on it called Nasmedia.  It has read, write and
execute privileges set for everyone.  Confirmed though the nas interface.
The nfs is setup on the nas with read/write permission for everyone and
no_root_squash
I can read or write to that directory under any user from any computer on
my network.

On the backend running mythbackend i have fstab set like this.

192.168.1.222:/Nasmedia         /home/mythtv/qnap/      nfs defaults 0 0

I do not know a great way to show folder permissions so I have done my best
and pasted below

kevin at MP67:/home/mythtv$ ls -la
total 58088
drwxr-x--- 10 mythtv mythtv     4096 Sep  4 12:07 .
drwxr-xr-x  4 root   root       4096 Aug 21 17:18 ..
drwxr-xr-x  5 mythtv mythtv     4096 Aug 28 19:21 .cache
drwx------  6 mythtv mythtv     4096 Sep  3 11:49 .config
drwxrwxr-x  2 mythtv mythtv     4096 Sep  4 11:42 livetv
drwxrwxr-x  3 mythtv mythtv     4096 Aug 21 17:39 .local
drwxr-xr-x  7 mythtv mythtv     4096 Sep  3 13:18 .mythtv
drwxrwxrwx  6 mythtv mythtv     4096 Sep  4 10:01 qnap
-rw-r--r--  1 mythtv mythtv 59432960 Sep  3 11:13 SD
drwx------  3 mythtv mythtv     4096 Aug 28 19:21 snap
-rw-------  1 mythtv mythtv      100 Sep  4 12:07 .Xauthority
drwxrwxr-x  2 mythtv mythtv     4096 Sep  3 11:06 .xmltv

kevin at MP67:/home/mythtv/qnap$ ls -la
total 32
drwxrwxrwx  6 mythtv mythtv 4096 Sep  4 10:01 .
drwxr-x--- 10 mythtv mythtv 4096 Sep  4 12:07 ..
drwxrwxrwx  4 kevin  kevin  4096 Aug 28 21:33 movies
drwxrwxrwx  4 mythtv mythtv 4096 Sep  4 10:59 mythtv
drwxrwxrwx  2 root   root   4096 Aug 23 14:37 @Recycle
drwxrwxrwx  2 root   root   4096 Aug 23 16:00 . at __thumb

kevin at MP67:/home/mythtv/qnap/mythtv$ ls -la
total 20
drwxrwxrwx 4 mythtv mythtv 4096 Sep  4 10:59 .
drwxrwxrwx 6 mythtv mythtv 4096 Sep  4 10:01 ..
drwxrwxrwx 2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Sep  4 11:06 livetv
drwxrwxrwx 2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Sep  4 12:15 storage
User mythtv, or anyone for that matter can create directories or files
anywhere along that path

If i setup the storage groups to use /home/mythtv/qnap/mythtv/storage, live
tv will fail
If i setup the storage groups to use /home/mythtv/qnap/mythtv/livetv, live
tv will fail
If I setup the storage group to use /home/mythtv/livetv, live tv works.
I can set the storage group to anything on the local drive and live tv
works as long as I set the permissions correctly on the chosen folder.

I can record programs while the storage is set to nas.  And playback works
fine with the recorded programs.
Its just live tv that fails.  It starts for about 2 seconds, then stops.

I am okay with leaving it like this.  I am just trying to understand why
its failing live tv.