[mythtv-users] Help needed as my mythtv-backend has lost it's mind (or maybe I have)

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 13:27:49 UTC 2022

On Tue, Nov 8, 2022 at 7:12 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> My backend is running fixes/32
> (v32.0+fixes.202211050719.18f5b48ee1~ubuntu22.04.1)
>
> The tuner is a Hauppauge WinTV quadHD ATSC PCIe card. This morning I tried
> to do some maintenance which was only supposed to be editing the Schedules
> Direct channel using tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --manage-listing and that
> part went as expected.
>
> Next I ran mythtv-setup and it said it needed to shutdown the backend and
> I said yes and it required the password.  I tried to edit channels and scan
> but I kept getting failures with my tuner card. Since I could not get it to
> recognize the card I exited without saving and started the backend again.
> My remote frontends could now connect to the backend and view Live TV.
>
> At that point it was time to panic as usual, so I went back into
> mythtv-setup and deleted all the tuners and started over.  I kept getting
> errors when trying to add the tuner card. It could not ID the card but
> obviously could find it in a scan of tuners.
>
> I have not powered off the system, but I have rebooted several times.
>
> Has there been any recent changes to how the tuner cards are
> initialized at boot? This system has been running without major changes for
> a couple of years.
>
> Jim A

Some additional information.  I powered off the system and restarted and
nothing changed over just resetting as expected.  I temporarily added some
HDHomerun tuners to get the morning recordings to happen.   Now that that
is over, I tried deleting all tuners and adding back in the Hauppauge WinTV
QuadHD card.  If find the tuner but when I look at the parameters of the
tuner I see:
Frontend ID   Could Not get Card info for /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
At the bottom of the screen I see "appears the card can be in use by
another program."

I have not installed any new software on the system so not sure what this
could be all about.

Jim A