[mythtv-users] Ubuntu remote setup

Paul Harrison mythtv at mythqml.net
Tue May 24 16:54:56 UTC 2022

On 24/05/2022 15:29, Mitchell Gore wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am upgrading my mythtv setup from version .29 to .32.  I have
> everything working except my remote.  I installed Mythbuntu CC and
> configured my remote.  I am able to use the arrow keys and the power
> button sleeps the machine (dont want).  Doing some reading i think my
> remote is emulating a keyboard with ir-keytable.  when i do
> "ir-keytables -t" I can see all the button presses.  BUT when i go
> into mythtv and try and program buttons such as back, ok, or
> jumppoints it shows nothing.  is there a config file between
> ir-keytables and mythtv that i am missing?  Last time i did this it
> was all with LIRC should i switch back?
>
> using a MCE remote:
> mitchell at mythtv:~$ sudo ir-keytable
> Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ with:
>         Name: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver
> (1934:5168)
>         Driver: mceusb
>         Default keymap: rc-rc6-mce
>         Input device: /dev/input/event7
>         LIRC device: /dev/lirc0
>         Attached BPF protocols: Operation not supported
>         Supported kernel protocols: lirc rc-5 rc-5-sz jvc sony nec
> sanyo mce_kbd rc-6 sharp xmp imon rc-mm
>         Enabled kernel protocols: lirc rc-6
>         bus: 3, vendor/product: 1934:5168, version: 0x0001
>         Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

There  are many different ways to do this. I don't use that particular
remote but this is what I do for my remotes. I do it like this so any OS
updates don't trample over my changes.

Find the relevant key map file in /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/

I would guess for your remote you want /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce.toml

Make a copy and edit it so that the keys produce the key presses you
want for example if your remote has a menu key you would want it to
produce KEY_M. You may have to use ir-keytables -t to figure out which
scan code belongs to which remote key.

Now you have to replace the existing loaded key map with your new one.
As a test you can just run (may need sudo?) :- /usr/bin/ir-keytable -w
/path/to/new/keymapfile .

To make it always load on startup I add the above command to load the
keymap to /etc/rc.local (you may have to add that if it does not already
exist).

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

# load the keymap for the hauppauge remote
/usr/bin/ir-keytable -w /etc/rc_keymaps/hauppauge

Paul H.