[mythtv-users] Ubuntu remote setup

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue May 24 17:00:13 UTC 2022

On Tue, 24 May 2022 09:29:13 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am upgrading my mythtv setup from version .29 to .32.  I have everything
>working except my remote.  I installed Mythbuntu CC and configured my
>remote.  I am able to use the arrow keys and the power button sleeps the
>machine (dont want).  Doing some reading i think my remote is emulating a
>keyboard with ir-keytable.  when i do "ir-keytables -t" I can see all the
>button presses.  BUT when i go into mythtv and try and program buttons such
>as back, ok, or jumppoints it shows nothing.  is there a config file
>between ir-keytables and mythtv that i am missing?  Last time i did this it
>was all with LIRC should i switch back?
>
>using a MCE remote:
>mitchell at mythtv:~$ sudo ir-keytable
>Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ with:
>        Name: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver (1934:5168)
>        Driver: mceusb
>        Default keymap: rc-rc6-mce
>        Input device: /dev/input/event7
>        LIRC device: /dev/lirc0
>        Attached BPF protocols: Operation not supported
>        Supported kernel protocols: lirc rc-5 rc-5-sz jvc sony nec sanyo
>mce_kbd rc-6 sharp xmp imon rc-mm
>        Enabled kernel protocols: lirc rc-6
>        bus: 3, vendor/product: 1934:5168, version: 0x0001
>        Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

I am guessing that you have upgraded your system as well as your
MythTV version.  A while back, there was a major change to lirc, the
software that runs the infrared remotes.  A lot of the lirc drivers
where moved into the kernel and how it works was substantially changed
to match that.  Your symptoms are what you get if lirc is not working
and the IR driver code is sending keystrokes to the keyboard system
instead of lirc.  Only the arrows and a few other keys (volume and
power) will do anything as they are matching keystrokes that the
system recognises.  All the other keycodes do not match and are
discarded.

So you basically need to start from scratch with your lirc
configuration and make it work again.  On top of that, the lirc
packages for Ubuntu since that change are broken and the Python
programs now used to configure lirc will not work as there is a
missing .so library file.  I have written fix scripts for the Ubuntu
18.04 LTS, 20.04 LTS and 21.10 versions, available on my web server.
There are also some other problems that are fixed by the scripts.

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh
http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-20.04-install.sh
http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-21.10-install.sh

The scripts will install a working lirc for you.  It is probably best
to uninstall the existing lirc package first, so you get a clean lirc
install.  Make sure you keep copies of your old working lirc
configuration for reference.

There are some threads on this mailing list that should tell you all
you need to know.  This wiki page tells you where to find the
searchable archive for the mailing list, and searching it for the
above script file names should find the relevant threads:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mailing_List