[mythtv-users] Scanning an audio cd freezes the FE.

Paul Harrison mythtv at mythqml.net
Mon May 2 10:33:58 UTC 2022

On 02/05/2022 02:30, A. F. Cano wrote:

> I remember from long ago that this feature stopped working when the service
> used by mythtv to look up CDs stopped working, so I didn't bother trying to
> import CDs since.  So said someone on this mailing list then.
>
> It's been a while now and mythtv has been updated, possibly multiple times.
> I just tried it again and it still hangs (Application mythfrontend is not
> responding) and the window doesn't even update when switching windows
> (mythfronend started with thd -w option).  The only way to regain control
> is to terminate the application.
>
> The path to the freeze: Advanced -> Music Tools -> Import CD.  And then
> nothing at all shows in any of the fields and the FE freezes.
>
> In contrast, when I put in the audio CD in the CD/DVD drive I get a
> notification that lets me choose how to proceed: Play Audio CD using Dragon
> Player, Extract Digital Audio with K3b, Copy with K3b.
>
> If I select the second option, k3b is launched and the table of contents of
> the CD is displayed.  Is k3b also looking up the contents of the CD on the
> internet somehow? or is it getting it from the CD itself?  If the latter, why
> can't mythfronend do the same? Is anyone else using this feature successfully?
>
> Mythtv 1:31.0+fixes20220227.git7e4ce1ba98 from deb-multimedia on Debian stable.
>
> Thanks for any hints.  Extremely happy otherwise with MythTV.  4400+ shows on
> the HD.
>
> Augustine

MythMusic v31 is trying to use the CDDB lookup service which is no
longer available so you need to upgrade to v32 or later which removes
the lookup.

At the moment MythMusic has no facility to lookup the metadata, you can
still rip cd's but you have to manually enter the track details, and
since the future of the plugins is uncertain that's likely not going to
change.

See this commit

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/7e9ed760c6fe

Paul H.