[mythtv-users] mythtvlight and mythtv python bindings

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 18:45:36 UTC 2022

On 6/25/22 12:54, John wrote:
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_Light
>
> I use Mythtv Light to build from source as I find it a convenient way of building a single package to distribute among frontends.
>
> On my production server I also use it to install the Backend.
>
> Just used it to update my system to Ubuntu 22.04 and all went well with the Front and Backend.
>
> Obviously had to install Mythweb separately using https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source#Install_MythWeb.
>
> This required some intervention the possible culprit being the python bindings.
>
> If I use the python build scripts in https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Python3_Conversion then mythpithon ends up in /usr/local/bin whereas the
> mythtvlight puts the Backend in /usr/bin/mythbackend.
>
> Is that going to work?

Strong maybe.

See if this works: python3 -c "import MythTV;". You'll get a NameError
if it doesn't. If it works (nothing is returned), no need to read further.

That Conversion Wiki was really for folks testing master while as v31 was being developed.
v31 allowed Python2 or Python 3 to be selected. 22.04 uses v32 by default and
Python2 is no longer supported. So much for history...

This: python3 -c "import sys;print(sys.path)" will print the Python3 search path,
which is much like the shell $PATH variable.

I expect something _like_: /usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages will be in the output.

--
Bill