[mythtv-users] directly connecting HDHR to spare LAN port

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 13:50:38 UTC 2022

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 12:52 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 1:35 PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 3:02 PM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > All (most) home routers that run Linux (99% probably) LAN ports are
>> already software bridged using the exact same commands I just outlined
>> anyway :)
>>
>> Only the old(er)/cheap(er) ones.  Most recent
>> SoCs that are being used in consumer routers
>> have internal switching capabilities that can be
>> used along with hardware NAT support (a
>> L2/L3/L4 multilayer design), in addition to
>> integrated WiFi.  And the reason for using
>> these SoCs is, of course, money.  A single
>> SoC that integrates everything results in a
>> cheaper/faster to engineer and certify solution.
>> It also means when the SoC vendors S/RDK
>> turns out to have a VULN it impacts a lot of
>> devices from different vendors since they all
>> used the same base.  Qualcomm and
>> Broadcom are some big manufactures of
>> such SoCs.
>>

> So what are the brands and models of home WiFi AP /routers that are any
> good? I've tried Netgear and my current one is TP-Link with WiFi 6.  I have
> about 50 devices connected to it either ethernet or WiFi. To get around
> some switching issues I have only one LAN port of my TP-Link feeding my
> bank of Gbe switches
>
> Jim A

As Stephen said previously, they all (most) do have an ethernet switch
controller built into them.  The kernel has recently started calling them
DSA devices - used to have separate broadcom / qualcomm , etc devices using
different provisioning methods (swconfig, et all).

Even though they have underlying switching chips, they still use the
standard linux tools as well.  If you get on the GPIO pins of these devices
and get a console, you will always find that there is a bridge interface
containing your LAN ports.  If anyone ever runs 3rd party firmware
(OpenWRT, dd-wrt, etc..), you will find that is always true - it is just
the only way the linux kernel can bridge them - even though there is a
switch chip also provisioned the same way.  Any modern router within the
last 10 years will be provisioned this way.  I have a Netgear R7000 that I
use for development which is very good (there are much newer models now
though), but I use Ubiquiti for everything in the house - I have a Dream
Machine Pro router with AC wifi APs mounted on the ceiling everywhere.  It
runs very well.  Also their cameras are very cheap.  Their 10GB switch as a
main hub and 1GB switches everywhewre else.  Their single controller gui
(built into the dream machine pro) makes it all very easy to configure.
Just my $.02