[mythtv-users] UHD TV improving the mythtv picture??

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 01:32:52 UTC 2022

I was watching the Stanley Cup Finals tonight that I recorded on my
production backend and also on my testing backend. I started watching about
40 minutes late and I started on the testing system.  That system is a 11th
gen Core i7 NUC, using a HDHR tuner and the display is a UHD 4K TV but the
NUC is set to 1920x1080 at 60 since the NUC will not run UHD @60 for some
strange issue that I've not been able to figure out.

So I'm watching the hockey game which is an MPEG2 720P ATSC OTA recording.
It looks great but something about the graphics used for the clock/scores
is not as sharp as I remembered. I thought it could be the 720p vs. 1080i
but not sure.  So I changed the TV to HDMI2 where I have a FireTV 4K.  The
FireTV connects to the UHD TV as 3840x2160 at 60 with HDR.  There I ran
Leanfront to view the same recording.

It may be wishful thinking, but I think the picture is a little better.

Could the UHD TV running at 2160P with HDR help Leanfront improve the 720P
recording?

BTW, to see why I thought the graphics were not as sharp, I switched the
FireTV over to the ESPN+ app which was streaming the same game.  All the
previous games have been streaming only, so I have not watched one on
Mythtv via OTA. I think the streaming was the best yet, but...

Final test, I used just the UHD TV tuner to watch the same program
directly. This is just enough better. I think the internal tuner and
picture improvement logic of the TV really shine when used this way.

Jim A