[mythtv-users] UHD TV improving the mythtv picture??

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 03:07:59 UTC 2022

On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 1:34 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Could the UHD TV running at 2160P with HDR help Leanfront improve the 720P recording?

Most "4K" TV's have reasonably good upscalers.
Some are (claimed to be) better than others.

So do various GPUs, and again, some are better
than others.

However, running an upscaler (your 4K TV)
after a NUC's upscaler (from 720 to 1080)
is not likely to result in the best result, as
you then have the resulting artifacts from both.

Generally you want the best upscaler
(sometimes but not always, your "4K" TV,
and sometimes your GPU if it can run at
the native "4K" resolution, and sometimes
your other frontend dongle (I think the nvidia
shield claims "AI" upscaling)) to get the native
format which it can upscale to the best of its
ability.

That means that running the NUC in a mode
which will automatically send the native format
(whatever that is) may (and given the (to me)
unknowns) result in the best visuals.  Maybe.

Some caveats:  Some TV's, when the input
format changes (from, say, 720p to 1080i) will
momentarily go black, which can be an
annoyance.  Configuring MythTV to run in
native resolution (only) mode can be an
interesting exercise.

So, the answer to your question is "maybe"