[mythtv-users] directly connecting HDHR to spare LAN port

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Jun 14 04:04:00 UTC 2022

On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 15:05:53 -0400, you wrote:

>I have a NUC with  2 RJ45 ports on the back. One is 2.5Gb and the other is
>1Gb.  Is there a simple way to connect a HDHomeRun Connect tuner to one of
>these ports so it would work with Mythtv and eliminate any record problems
>that I'm having from being network related??
>
>Jim A

Just assign a static IP address to the Ethernet port you want the HDHR
to connect on, and set up a DHCP server on that port which assigns IP
addresses on the same subnet as the static IP.  So, if your main
subnet is using say 192.168.10.0/24 as the address range, you might
choose to use 192.168.11.0/24 for the new subnet.  The static IP
address for the port on the NUC might be 192.168.11.254 and the DHCP
assigned addresses 192.168.11.1-192.168.11.249.

Make sure that the subnet addresses you choose are not used anywhere
else on your network.  It pays to document all the subnets on your
network somewhere so you do not in the future re-use addresses.  I do
this in my DNS server config files, but a simple text file is fine, as
long as you can remember where it is.

If you need access to the HDHR from elsewhere on your network, then
you will likely need to be able to tell your router to add a route to
the new subnet via the NUC's main IP address.  Not all consumer level
routers can actually do this.  Or if your router can do RIP or OSPF
routing protocols (unlikely in a consumer grade router), it is better
to set up RIP or (preferably) OSPF on the NUC and let the routes be
handled automatically.  In Ubuntu, the normal software used for this
is Quagga, which has subprograms it runs for each of the various
routing protocols.

For Ubuntu, this looks like a decent guide to setting up a DHCP
server:

https://www.linuxfordevices.com/tutorials/ubuntu/dhcp-server-on-ubuntu