[mythtv-users] directly connecting HDHR to spare LAN port

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 08:31:23 UTC 2022

Hoi Stephen,

> On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 15:05:53 -0400, you wrote:

>>I have a NUC with  2 RJ45 ports on the back. One is 2.5Gb and the other is
>>1Gb.  Is there a simple way to connect a HDHomeRun Connect tuner to one of
>>these ports so it would work with Mythtv and eliminate any record problems
>>that I'm having from being network related??
>>
>>Jim A

> Just assign a static IP address to the Ethernet port you want the HDHR
> to connect on, and set up a DHCP server on that port which assigns IP
> addresses on the same subnet as the static IP.  So, if your main
> subnet is using say 192.168.10.0/24 as the address range, you might
> choose to use 192.168.11.0/24 for the new subnet.  The static IP
> address for the port on the NUC might be 192.168.11.254 and the DHCP
> assigned addresses 192.168.11.1-192.168.11.249.

> Make sure that the subnet addresses you choose are not used anywhere
> else on your network.  It pays to document all the subnets on your
> network somewhere so you do not in the future re-use addresses.  I do
> this in my DNS server config files, but a simple text file is fine, as
> long as you can remember where it is.

> If you need access to the HDHR from elsewhere on your network, then
> you will likely need to be able to tell your router to add a route to
> the new subnet via the NUC's main IP address.  Not all consumer level
> routers can actually do this.  Or if your router can do RIP or OSPF
> routing protocols (unlikely in a consumer grade router), it is better
> to set up RIP or (preferably) OSPF on the NUC and let the routes be
> handled automatically.  In Ubuntu, the normal software used for this
> is Quagga, which has subprograms it runs for each of the various
> routing protocols.

> For Ubuntu, this looks like a decent guide to setting up a DHCP
> server:

> https://www.linuxfordevices.com/tutorials/ubuntu/dhcp-server-on-ubuntu

For routing through the NUC being possible you have to enable routing
by its kernel.
It either has a file /etc/sysctl.conf or a directory /etc/sysctl.d
with zero or more conf files. Here you can set kernel parameters.
I have set:

net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_fiter = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1

which together with the router settings mentioned by Stephen makes my
hdhr4 accessible from elsewhere on my network. To use the hdhr tools
replace the id with the ip.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven