[mythtv-users] StreamZap/LIRC stopped working

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Jun 4 05:25:29 UTC 2022

On Fri, 3 Jun 2022 23:30:33 -0400, you wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I know this issue isn't directly related to MythTV but I'm hoping
>someone on the list with the same hardware and OS could help me
>troubleshoot this issue.
>
>I've been using a StreamZap remote and USB IR receiver to control MythTV
>via LIRC for years. It hasn't really given me any problems. A recent
>Fedora 35 update broke things. LIRC is not registering any key presses
>even though I can see the red indicator on the IR receiver blink every
>time I press a button on the remote. I can't pinpoint the exact update
>that broke things because it took me a while to notice the remote wasn't
>working.
>
>Right now I'm running Fedora 35 (5.17.11-200.fc35.x86_64) with
>lirc-core-0.10.0-32.fc35.x86_64 on my combined MythTV FE/BE.
>
>If I stop lircd and run mode2, I can see all the key presses. If I start
>lircd and run irw, I see nothing. No errors are logged - everything
>appears to be running properly.
>
>I've uninstalled and reinstalled LIRC. It's a pretty simply set up:
>
>- lsusb shows: Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0e9c:0000 Streamzap, Inc.
>Streamzap Remote Control
>- streamzap and rc_streamzap modules are loaded load
>- /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf is stock except for two changes:
>    driver = default
>    device = /dev/lirc0
>- /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d/streamzap.lircd.conf was created using the
>config found here:
>https://github.com/graysky2/streamzap/blob/master/00-Streamzap_PC_Remote.conf
>
>mode2:
>Using driver default on device /dev/lirc0
>Trying device: /dev/lirc0
>Using device: /dev/lirc0
>Warning: Running as root.
>(codes displayed with each key press)
>
>systemctl start lircd (starts successfully with no errors)
>
>irw:
>(nothing!)
>
>I've gone over /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d/streamzap.lircd.conf with a fine
>tooth comb and there's nothing wrong with it. It's worked for me for
>years and it's the same as others that I've found with a bit of Googling.
>
>I installed a fresh copy of Fedora 36 on a different machine and moved
>the USB IR receiver over. I configured it exactly as above - same
>outcome, mode2 looks normal but nothing out of irw,
>
>I then moved the USB IR receiver over to a Raspberry Pi (Linux
>RaspberryPi 5.15.32-v7+), installed LIRC, and applied the same
>configuration as above and it worked. So I know the USB IR receiver and
>remote control are fine.
>
>Has anyone seen this behaviour with StreamZap+LIRC on Fedora? Any hints
>on how to fix or even troubleshoot this one?
>
>Thanks
>
>Gary

How old was the version of lirc that was working?  There was a major
change in how lirc works, where a lot of the drivers were moved to the
kernel.  The first page Google found for "streamzap lirc":

https://github.com/graysky2/streamzap

says that you should be using the devinput driver, which is the kernel
driver for a lot of lirc devices.  If that is what has happened, then
you need to completely reconfigure lirc to use the devinput driver.
First, run ir-keytable and see if it sees your remote, and then try
ir-keytable -t to see if it sees all the keys on your remote (not just
the arrow keys and maybe volume and power keys).  Do not use the power
key as it is likely to shut down the PC.  If that works, then it is
almost certain that you need to be using a devinput configuration.