[mythtv-users] Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11

glen glenb at glenb.net
Mon Jan 17 18:00:28 UTC 2022

On Mon, 2022-01-17 at 17:46 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 4:34 PM glen <glenb at glenb.net> wrote:
> > the new atsc 3.0 should be fine as that is target codec 265. that
> > still comes down to the default though.
>
> While H.265 may be a target, broadcasters have
> flexibility in their choices of codec, and during
> testing (and make no mistake, most broadcasters
> are still in various stages of testing, not production)
> some have chosen interestingly.  There is even one
> using H.265 480i (yes, interlaced) for some of their
> channels.  As expected, more than a few software
> solutions did/do not deal with interlaced H.265 (and
> who knows about hardware decoder support, although
> I seem to recall it was reported LG TVs did it right
> (although that, itself, is not surprising as LG has
> been part of many of the standards committees,
> so they likely understand them better than some)).
>
> > i may nevertheless pick the silicondust 3.0 tuner as 3 stations
> > have popped up in my area.
>
> Be aware that using the HDFX-4K requires some hoop
> jumping in MythTV to use for ATSC 3.0 (I have heard
> a rumor that a well qualified/experienced/talented
> individual has sort of gotten it to work in their market,
> but setup was, to put it mildly, not straightforward),
> and there is no support for the ATSC 3.0 (targeted)
> audio codec of AC-4 in any released open source
> project, so unless passthrough works to your AC-4
> capable A/V receiver you likely will experience the
> sounds of silence (although, that too, may vary, as
> some broadcasters have been reported to use AAC
> for their ATSC 3.0 channels, because, again,
> flexible options in the spec).
>
> If you want to play around with the device, using the
> the SiliconDust software apps (which even support
> AC-4 transcoding using their own cloud based service
> to get around device limitations) to see what is what,
> you may be fine, but full support in MythTV for its
> full ATSC 3.0 capability is likely some time away
> (although the tuner should operate as a classic 4
> tuner ATSC 1.0 device just fine in MythTV). Caveat
> emptor.
Thanks Gary. I was a aware of the bulk of the issues. My thought was
the ffmpeg is not far off from getting the audio codec ac4. i have also
seen references to some ffmpeg versions with some degree of ac4
compiled in. i was not planning any myth attempts with it, other than
as mpeg2 turners. to sell my quattro tuner and buy this is not a big
investment. anyway that's my thinking