[mythtv-users] Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 17:46:37 UTC 2022

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 4:34 PM glen <glenb at glenb.net> wrote:
> the new atsc 3.0 should be fine as that is target codec 265. that still comes down to the default though.

While H.265 may be a target, broadcasters have
flexibility in their choices of codec, and during
testing (and make no mistake, most broadcasters
are still in various stages of testing, not production)
some have chosen interestingly.  There is even one
using H.265 480i (yes, interlaced) for some of their
channels.  As expected, more than a few software
solutions did/do not deal with interlaced H.265 (and
who knows about hardware decoder support, although
I seem to recall it was reported LG TVs did it right
(although that, itself, is not surprising as LG has
been part of many of the standards committees,
so they likely understand them better than some)).

> i may nevertheless pick the silicondust 3.0 tuner as 3 stations have popped up in my area.

Be aware that using the HDFX-4K requires some hoop
jumping in MythTV to use for ATSC 3.0 (I have heard
a rumor that a well qualified/experienced/talented
individual has sort of gotten it to work in their market,
but setup was, to put it mildly, not straightforward),
and there is no support for the ATSC 3.0 (targeted)
audio codec of AC-4 in any released open source
project, so unless passthrough works to your AC-4
capable A/V receiver you likely will experience the
sounds of silence (although, that too, may vary, as
some broadcasters have been reported to use AAC
for their ATSC 3.0 channels, because, again,
flexible options in the spec).

If you want to play around with the device, using the
the SiliconDust software apps (which even support
AC-4 transcoding using their own cloud based service
to get around device limitations) to see what is what,
you may be fine, but full support in MythTV for its
full ATSC 3.0 capability is likely some time away
(although the tuner should operate as a classic 4
tuner ATSC 1.0 device just fine in MythTV). Caveat
emptor.