[mythtv-users] Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 14:26:59 UTC 2022

On 1/16/22 3:24 PM, James Abernathy wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 3:07 PM glen <glenb at glenb.net
> <mailto:glenb at glenb.net>> wrote:
>
>     i had terrible results on the 9.0 and very happy to be back on
>     8.23, the myth apps, both, play really well. i'm sure nvidia will
>     get the interlaced content issue resolved so i plan to keep an eye
>     on the forums and try again when it looks like the coast is clear.
>     it was fairly simple to reflash using their recovery image.
>

>>     Just to add my experience with the 9.0 update, I have v30 backend
>>     and a v30 frontend and after the update I have audio sync issues
>>     with both recorded and live tv (paused a few seconds).  It's like
>>     the video is occasionally choppy, and the audio fluctuates from
>>     almost synced to maybe a half second off.  I haven't tried
>>     playing with any video settings yet, I have a v31 apk to try as
>>     well.
>>
>>     On first launch I get a "this app was built for a different
>>     version of android" message, if I build from source will it fix that?
>

> For those who somehow got 9.0 installed and now regret it, like Glen
> says it's easy to put 8.23 back on the Shield. I summarized what I did
> with Glen's help in a posting on the MythTV forum
> (https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4740
> <https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4740>). So it's there
> when I have to do it again and forget where to start.

I did the upgrade. I checked leanfront and mythfrontend. I did not see
any problems with playback. I played parts of a few recordings with
mythfrontend and did some skip forward and back. I watched for a half
hour with leanfront.

I do not have any mpeg-2 recordings. They are all h264. Perhaps mpeg2 is
the issue.

Peter