[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase not running automatically

George Bingham georgeb1962 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 04:26:16 UTC 2022

On Sun, Feb 20, 2022 at 9:46 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 12:17:42 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >I'm having what seems to be a pretty common problem - I can run my xmltv
> >grabber from the command line as user mythtv, but it won't run
> >automatically.
> >
> >I tried the idea suggested in the wiki, i.e., copying the .xmltv files as
> >configured into /home/mythtv/.mythtv and making sure the permissions are
> >read and writable by user mythtv. That seems to enable "su mythtv -c
> >mythfilldatabase" to work just fine, so I'm not sure why the backend can't
> >also work.
> >
> >I ran "mythbackend --setverbose system" to enhance the logging, then
> >changed the mythfilldatabase run time so that it would (i hoped) show me
> >something, but the logs don't mention anything (neither the
> >mythfilldatabase nor the mythbackend logs).
> >
> >What else should I try? Also, is there any way to direct the backend to
> try
> >more than once every 24 hours, so I can get better feedback for any
> >troubleshooting?
> >Thanks.
>
> There are settings for mythfilldatabase:
>
> MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from settings where value like
> '%mythfill%';
> +---------------------------------+----------------------+----------+
> | value                           | data                 | hostname |
> +---------------------------------+----------------------+----------+
> | mythfilldatabaseLastRunStart    | 2022-02-21T02:11:31Z | NULL     |
> | MythFillSuggestedRunTime        | 2022-02-22T02:11:31Z | NULL     |
> | MythFillGrabberSuggestsTime     | 1                    | NULL     |
> | MythFillEnabled                 | 0                    | NULL     |
> | MythFillDatabasePath            | mythfilldatabase     | NULL     |
> | MythFillDatabaseArgs            | --only-update-guide  | NULL     |
> | MythFillDatabaseLog             | /var/log/mythtv      | NULL     |
> | MythFillPeriod                  | 1                    | NULL     |
> | MythFillMinHour                 |                      | NULL     |
> | MythFillMaxHour                 | 23                   | NULL     |
> | MythFillFixProgramIDsHasRunOnce | 1                    | mypvr    |
> | mythfilldatabaseLastRunEnd      | 2022-02-21T02:11:33Z | NULL     |
> | mythfilldatabaseLastRunStatus   | Successful.          | NULL     |
> +---------------------------------+----------------------+----------+
> 13 rows in set (0.002 sec)
>
> I have MythFillEnabled set to 0 to disable it as I run
> mythfilldatabase externally from a script.  You can find the settings
> at:
>
> mythtv-setup > 1. General > Programme Schedule Downloading Options

Hi all,

Not a linux expert here, by any means, but the 'su mythtv' and the command
works, may not be an adequate test.

Try using 'su -l mythtv' and then your mythfilldatabase command.   The -l
makes the rest of the command take on the same environment as the target
user, not the environment you currently have the command working for....
 Sometimes testing it with the -l can reveal the same problem mythtv is
having when trying to run it.

good luck,.