[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase not running automatically

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Feb 21 03:45:29 UTC 2022

On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 12:17:42 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello,
>I'm having what seems to be a pretty common problem - I can run my xmltv
>grabber from the command line as user mythtv, but it won't run
>automatically.
>
>I tried the idea suggested in the wiki, i.e., copying the .xmltv files as
>configured into /home/mythtv/.mythtv and making sure the permissions are
>read and writable by user mythtv. That seems to enable "su mythtv -c
>mythfilldatabase" to work just fine, so I'm not sure why the backend can't
>also work.
>
>I ran "mythbackend --setverbose system" to enhance the logging, then
>changed the mythfilldatabase run time so that it would (i hoped) show me
>something, but the logs don't mention anything (neither the
>mythfilldatabase nor the mythbackend logs).
>
>What else should I try? Also, is there any way to direct the backend to try
>more than once every 24 hours, so I can get better feedback for any
>troubleshooting?
>Thanks.

There are settings for mythfilldatabase:

MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from settings where value like
'%mythfill%';
+---------------------------------+----------------------+----------+
| value                           | data                 | hostname |
+---------------------------------+----------------------+----------+
| mythfilldatabaseLastRunStart    | 2022-02-21T02:11:31Z | NULL     |
| MythFillSuggestedRunTime        | 2022-02-22T02:11:31Z | NULL     |
| MythFillGrabberSuggestsTime     | 1                    | NULL     |
| MythFillEnabled                 | 0                    | NULL     |
| MythFillDatabasePath            | mythfilldatabase     | NULL     |
| MythFillDatabaseArgs            | --only-update-guide  | NULL     |
| MythFillDatabaseLog             | /var/log/mythtv      | NULL     |
| MythFillPeriod                  | 1                    | NULL     |
| MythFillMinHour                 |                      | NULL     |
| MythFillMaxHour                 | 23                   | NULL     |
| MythFillFixProgramIDsHasRunOnce | 1                    | mypvr    |
| mythfilldatabaseLastRunEnd      | 2022-02-21T02:11:33Z | NULL     |
| mythfilldatabaseLastRunStatus   | Successful.          | NULL     |
13 rows in set (0.002 sec)

I have MythFillEnabled set to 0 to disable it as I run
mythfilldatabase externally from a script.  You can find the settings
at:

mythtv-setup > 1. General > Programme Schedule Downloading Options