[mythtv-users] NVIDIA Pushes 9.0.1 Fixer Update to SHIELD TV Units

glen glenb at glenb.net
Thu Feb 17 15:10:32 UTC 2022

On Thu, 2022-02-17 at 08:29 -0600, Steve Pearson wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 6:08 AM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On 2/15/22 21:07, George Bingham wrote:

> > > Yes, I installed it this afternoon... I had held off installing
> > > the 9.0 upgrade for about a week but my brother who didn't know
> > > any better installed the 9.0 upgrade last week.
> > >
> > > When watching the superbowl over the weekend, the stuttering
> > > problem became really evident. And even on recordings that were
> > > not as action packed as a football game I could tell there was a
> > > stuttering issue.
> > >
> > > I could tell that the audio wasn't aligned with the movement of
> > > the speaker's mouths, and had been trying to correct it by
> > > manipulating the audio sync, but never was able to get it right.
> > >
> > > Today I installed the 9.01 update, and it's much better. I
> > > haven't seen any stuttering, which was obvious when I was
> > > recording and watching the superbowl on Sunday... it was so bad I
> > > switched to using leanfront, which as folks were saying, was
> > > working a lot better.
> > >
> > > I am not convinced that the audio sync issue is entirely correct
> > > still, but I think because I've been looking at it so hard I am
> > > no longer able to tell when it's exactly right... However, it is
> > > definitely much improved, and the stuttering problem is
> > > definitely alleviated with the update.
> > >
> > > I am using v31  64bit build on the shield. It's on our one 4k TV.
> > > On another TV I am using google chromecast  with google TV, and
> > > on that one I am using the 32 bit build of the frontend (v31). No
> > > issues except occasional segmentation faults on those.
> > >
> > > Good luck!
> >
> > I'm one of the guys who had to delete 9.0 and go back to 8.23.
> > Since I only use my Shield TV for streaming TV apps, MythTV
> > Frontend and Leanfront, I don't see a compelling reason to move to
> > 9.01 fix.  My Shield is the 2017 64bit version. I guess I'll stay
> > at 8.23 until there is a real compelling reason to move forward.
> > I'll be curious to see what others say.
> > Jim A
> >

> I've installed 9.0.1 on my 2019 shield pro and I have a 2017 still on
> the latest version of 8.  I'm using v30 frontend build and leanfront
> apps on both shields with a v30 backend .  The 2017 works flawlessly,
> the 2019 still has laggy audio.  I went through and made sure all my
> settings between both the 2019 and 2017 match (both in frontend and
> android) and the 2019 still sucks at playing back mpeg2 through
> frontend.  I've adjusted the android audio sync, which has helped
> quite a bit, but it's still noticeably off.
their list of known problems with this latest push to 9.01 still has
some issues that are important to me, i'm on the newer 2019 pro. i
along jim had to install the recovery image to get it back to the way
it was. (8.23). so i am waiting longer, i get great results with the
8.23. the post is here:
http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJxFT8FuhSAQ_Bq9QQDBhwcPvfQ_lmVRUkUDqO3fl5cemuxkZmeS2ayfMYA3uo8zCDshSBy9kFqACEpZDwCCUDgrR2-s1kY6jrDT1mmxbJQcT1T7dR4NqpdCi94NDkIYXiq4YZIajbfay36b11rP0g0fnfps8zwPT3f0ETgeezMosas0XigcGampxtf-tsoaafOs3k1PDdoarcf_gL5PypESErvOJYMnNgnJvtLxJBZLuejd0ud5_6lrvdsdyqU98LfyIy-_mstUew