[mythtv-users] NVIDIA Pushes 9.0.1 Fixer Update to SHIELD TV Units

Steve Pearson steve.j.pearson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 14:29:03 UTC 2022

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 6:08 AM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/15/22 21:07, George Bingham wrote:
>
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 5:57 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
>
>> FYI, for any Shield users out there.
>>

>> https://www.droid-life.com/2022/02/15/nvidia-pushes-9-0-1-fixer-update-to-shield-tv-units/amp/
>>
>> Nvidia claims the stuttering problem with interface content is fixed.
>> That's probably one of the biggest issues for MythTV users.  Has
>> anyone tried the 9.0.1 fix yet?
>>
>> David
>> --
>> David Engel
>> david at istwok.net
>>

> Yes, I installed it this afternoon... I had held off installing the 9.0
> upgrade for about a week but my brother who didn't know any better
> installed the 9.0 upgrade last week.
>
> When watching the superbowl over the weekend, the stuttering problem
> became really evident. And even on recordings that were not as action
> packed as a football game I could tell there was a stuttering issue.
>
> I could tell that the audio wasn't aligned with the movement of the
> speaker's mouths, and had been trying to correct it by manipulating the
> audio sync, but never was able to get it right.
>
> Today I installed the 9.01 update, and it's much better. I haven't seen
> any stuttering, which was obvious when I was recording and watching the
> superbowl on Sunday... it was so bad I switched to using leanfront, which
> as folks were saying, was working a lot better.
>
> I am not convinced that the audio sync issue is entirely correct still,
> but I think because I've been looking at it so hard I am no longer able to
> tell when it's exactly right... However, it is definitely much improved,
> and the stuttering problem is definitely alleviated with the update.
>
> I am using v31  64bit build on the shield. It's on our one 4k TV. On
> another TV I am using google chromecast  with google TV, and on that one I
> am using the 32 bit build of the frontend (v31). No issues except
> occasional segmentation faults on those.
>
> Good luck!
>

> I'm one of the guys who had to delete 9.0 and go back to 8.23.  Since I
> only use my Shield TV for streaming TV apps, MythTV Frontend and Leanfront,
> I don't see a compelling reason to move to 9.01 fix.  My Shield is the 2017
> 64bit version. I guess I'll stay at 8.23 until there is a real compelling
> reason to move forward.
>
> I'll be curious to see what others say.
>
> Jim A

I've installed 9.0.1 on my 2019 shield pro and I have a 2017 still on the
latest version of 8.  I'm using v30 frontend build and leanfront apps on
both shields with a v30 backend .  The 2017 works flawlessly, the 2019
still has laggy audio.  I went through and made sure all my settings
between both the 2019 and 2017 match (both in frontend and android) and the
2019 still sucks at playing back mpeg2 through frontend.  I've adjusted the
android audio sync, which has helped quite a bit, but it's still noticeably
off.