[mythtv-users] NVIDIA Pushes 9.0.1 Fixer Update to SHIELD TV Units

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 12:06:36 UTC 2022

On 2/15/22 21:07, George Bingham wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 5:57 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
>
>     FYI, for any Shield users out there.
>
>     https://www.droid-life.com/2022/02/15/nvidia-pushes-9-0-1-fixer-update-to-shield-tv-units/amp/
>
>     Nvidia claims the stuttering problem with interface content is fixed.
>     That's probably one of the biggest issues for MythTV users. Has
>     anyone tried the 9.0.1 fix yet?
>
>     David
>     --
>     David Engel
>     david at istwok.net
>

> Yes, I installed it this afternoon... I had held off installing
> the 9.0 upgrade for about a week but my brother who didn't know any
> better installed the 9.0 upgrade last week.
>
> When watching the superbowl over the weekend, the stuttering problem
> became really evident. And even on recordings that were not as action
> packed as a football game I could tell there was a stuttering issue.
>
> I could tell that the audio wasn't aligned with the movement of the
> speaker's mouths, and had been trying to correct it by manipulating
> the audio sync, but never was able to get it right.
>
> Today I installed the 9.01 update, and it's much better. I haven't
> seen any stuttering, which was obvious when I was recording and
> watching the superbowl on Sunday... it was so bad I switched to using
> leanfront, which as folks were saying, was working a lot better.
>
> I am not convinced that the audio sync issue is entirely correct
> still, but I think because I've been looking at it so hard I am no
> longer able to tell when it's exactly right... However, it is
> definitely much improved, and the stuttering problem is definitely
> alleviated with the update.
>
> I am using v31  64bit build on the shield. It's on our one 4k TV. On
> another TV I am using google chromecast  with google TV, and on that
> one I am using the 32 bit build of the frontend (v31). No issues
> except occasional segmentation faults on those.
>
> Good luck!

I'm one of the guys who had to delete 9.0 and go back to 8.23. Since I
only use my Shield TV for streaming TV apps, MythTV Frontend and
Leanfront, I don't see a compelling reason to move to 9.01 fix.  My
Shield is the 2017 64bit version. I guess I'll stay at 8.23 until there
is a real compelling reason to move forward.

I'll be curious to see what others say.

Jim A